The 7th Annual Arnold Spelling Bee will be held on February 9th, 2016, in the HS gymnasium. The winners of the classroom spelling bee will compete in an oral spelling bee at 1:30 p.m. The student who will be chosen to go onto the Custer County Spelling Bee on February 17th at 9:30 a.m. in Ansley will be determined in two ways:
- The 1st place winner of the classroom competitions from grades 4 through 7 will automatically be participants.
- The grand prize winner of the local Arnold Spelling Bee, if not already a qualifier, will also be a participant. Then the top 3 students who participate in the local bee will qualify to round out a team of 8 students to attend the Custer County Bee.
Congratulations to the students who qualified to participate:
- 8th grade: 1st place: Max Werner, 2nd place: Anthony Olson, and 3rd place: Dylan Nelson.
- 7th grade: 1st place: Landyn Cole, 2nd place: Jadeyn Bubak, a TIE for 3rd place: Colby Streit and Kacee Dvorak, and 4th place: Kylee Lehmkuhler.
- 6th grade: 1st place: Colbi Smith, 2nd place: Shayla Tickle, and 3rd place: Stella Lewis and 4th Place: Faith Bierman.
- 5th grade: 1st place: Silas Cool, 2nd place: Clay Witthuhn, 3rd place: Chester Oberg, and Johnathon Lamphear.
- 4th grade: 1st place: Gracey Neth, 2nd place: Brenden Streit, 3rd place: Madison Smith, and 4th place: Arena Fetty.
The kindergarten through 3rd grade students will receive their winners certificates for their classroom spelling bees at the beginning of the oral spelling bee for the 4th through 8th grade students. Those winners are:
- 3rd grade: 1st place: Ella Cool, 2nd place: Stokely Lewis, and 3rd place: Ethan Furne.
- 2nd grade Written spelling test winner: 1st place: Josiah Coleman, and 2nd place: Gabe Smith.
- 2nd grade Oral spelling bee winner: 1st place: Josiah Coleman and 2nd place: Paxton Bierman.
- 1st grade: Written spelling test winners: 1st place: Elijah Cool, 2nd place: Sofie Lewis, 3rd place: Jade Bierman. Oral spelling bee winners 1st place: Walter Bierman 2nd place: Jade Bierman 3rd place: Wacey Schultz.
- Kindergarten: 1st place: Anna Coleman, 2nd place: Callan Witthuhn, and 3rd place: JuanPablo Zuniga.